Sunday, October 7, 2012

Smoking Entire Pipe Bowl to The Bottom

Should I smoke the entire bowl all the way to the bottom?

I was having a conversation with a fellow pipe smoker yesterday and the "smoking a pipe to the bottom" matter came up. I've had this conversation with many pipe smokers, and there are several arguments on both sides of the chasm. My approach is a relaxed one, but if you feel like you have to do burn your tobacco to the bottom, here is a way to do it: smoking pipe to the bottom. But if you want my take on it, please keep reading.

         Image source: ehow.com

Some insist that all the tobacco MUST be burned to ash all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Others, like myself, are content to smoke the pipe until it is no longer pleasant or enjoyable (or until I run out of time!). If that means I burn every bit of tobacco to a fine gray ash, excellent. But if I stop while the bowl still has tobacco remaining, so be it.

Since there are good and practical reasons to stop a pipe at any given stage of the smoke, I tend not to establish hard and fast rules about such things. I realize this more relaxed approach frustrates some who desire a clear-cut, check-list type of approach. But it fits very well with my own philosophy about pipe smoking. For me, the pipe is a peaceful, relaxing pleasure to be savored and not a burdensome task to be completed according to a bunch of rules.

Of course, there are some practices that should be avoided and others that are worth learning and perfecting. But as I often say, there is no "right" or "wrong" method for enjoying your pipe. Simply do what works for you and brings you the most pleasure from the hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment