Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Favorite Tobaccos to Smoke a Pipe

Some of My Own Favorite Tobaccos


Like many, my own preferences in pipe tobacco change every now and then, but I do have several that I seem to enjoy consistently. I also like trying new tobaccos whenever I'm able to do so. Unfortunately, restrictive state laws and severely limited local supply make trying new blends a somewhat rare occasion for me.

Of course, everyone's tastes and preferences are unique, so the blends I like certainly will not appeal to everyone else. But since I was asked, here is a list of the tobaccos in my current "regular rotation." And please don't complain that there are too many Boswell blends in the list. These are MY favorites, remember? :-)


Aromatic Blends

Berry Cobbler (Boswell) - This fantastic blend has become one of my favorite "go-to" tobaccos. As the name implies, this blend is a delicious combination of various tobaccos along with wonderful casings (flavorings) that contains hints of spice that reminds me of a delicious home-baked cobbler just out of the oven. While the "berry" is sometimes difficult to identify, the fruity aspect of this blend is undeniable. The tobacco burns perfectly to a fine gray ash, and the smoke is rich, thick, and creamy. The tobacco is mild in strength (in terms of nicotine) and the room note (aroma) is fantastic and definitely a crowd pleaser.

Paradise (Boswell) - A very mild, sweet, vanilla-cased, black Cavendish tobacco with an astonishingly good room note. The room note from this blend is so good that no other tobacco I've ever smoked even comes close to receiving the accolades this one has received from friends and family. They all agree that it smells better than anything else. I've even had anti-smoking advocates specifically ask if they can sit next to me while I smoke this because it smells so incredible! Admittedly, the flavor isn't as spectacular as the aroma (but it's certainly good), and the tobacco can become a bit one dimensional if smoked too often. But it is still one of my top five aromatics.

Raspberry Cream (Boswell) - Second only to Paradise (above) in terms of room note, this is an outstanding aromatic. The flavor on this tobacco is nothing short of spectacular. There is a subtle but very discernible flavor of raspberry that permeates every puff. The smoke is thick and has a wonderful creaminess to it. The flavors are truly delightful and remain consistent throughout the bowl. Some friends who are long time English blend smokers tried a bowl of this, and they were stunned. They simply cannot believe that so much flavor and sweetness can be packed into an aromatic.

Sweet Tea (Boswell) - As the name implies, this tobacco has a distinct flavor and aroma that is reminiscent of the southern-style sweet tea. Excellent room note, delicious sweet flavor with a hint of citrus, and a great aftertaste are hallmarks of this tobacco. Goes particularly well with a glass of real sweet tea.

ENGLISH AND ORIENTAL BLENDS

Frog Morton and Frog Morton on the Town (McClelland) - these are true English and Oriental blends, but don't be afraid to try them. They are absolutely fantastic and neither of them is overpowering or too strong. The regular Frog Morton is slightly more stout the Frog Morton on the Town, which is mellowed by the presence of Basma, but both of them are excellent.

Magnum Blend (Boswell) - Wonderful blend featuring light amounts of Latakia and a subtle hint of sweetness make this a very nice tobacco.

Country Side (Boswell) - Country Side has a rich smokey, slightly spicey taste that I particulary enjoy during the fall season.

VIRGINIA BLENDS

Golden Sliced (Orlik) - This Navy Cut flake tobacco is fairly new to my "favorites" list, but I suspect it will stay there for quite some time. It is a delicious blend of "golden and full body Virginias, along with a touch of Burley" (from the tin). To my palate, it alternates between a gentle spicyness and a smooth, natural sweetness that I find very appealing. Not the greatest room note, but a very nice flavor, nonetheless.

As I mentioned above, my tobacco rotation changes every now and then, so this list may need to be updated from time to time. In fact, I've got two new tins of Peterson tobaccos that I'm dying to try. Who knows? Maybe one or both will find their way into my favorites list! But for now, these are the blends that I'm enjoying when I smoke my pipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment