Saturday, May 26, 2012

Pipe Smoking: Hobby, Habit or Addiction?

How do I know if my pipe smoking has become a habit?

That's a great question, and it demonstrates that you're thinking carefully about your hobby and not rushing headlong into it. After all, there are potential health risks associated with tobacco use, and I believe it is wise to consider such things.

             Image Source: brothersofbriar.com

I also need to state up front that I am not an expert on health issues or smoking related diseases or cancer prevention. As to what constitutes "high" risk versus "low" risk, "addiction," and so on, I am simply not qualified to say. If you have particular health concerns about smoking, I recommend speaking to your doctor. But I will offer a few thoughts about this question.

Compared to cigarette smoking, for example, many pipe smokers are quick to distinguish their practice as a "hobby" and not a "habit." However, any use of tobacco products can potentially lead to addiction due to the nicotine content. There are several factors that affect this, such as the particular tobaccos being smoked, the frequency of smoking, and certain intangible personal factors.

All that being said, there is some debate about what actually constitutes "addiction" or "habit" when it comes to pipe smoking. But on a practical basis, the determination it is often tied to the number of bowls smoked or the frequency that a person smokes. The following seem to be commonly accepted as reasonable guidelines:

  • 1-2 bowls per day = light smoker
  • 3-4 bowls per day = moderate smoker
  • 5 or more bowls per day = heavy smoker

Again, the above is not an official standard; it is simply a general guideline that reflects a consensus I've found in my own reading and research.

In addition to that simple numeric/frequency guideline, there is a bit of conventional wisdom that I can share. In my own life, I find value in the ancient saying that goes like this:

"All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be enslaved by anything."

In other words, while smoking may not be wrong, it is not something that should have power or control over me. So if I find myself desperately "craving" a pipe, or if I was unable to go several days without a pipe, it may be an indication that my pipe smoking had gotten out of control or even a possible sign of nicotine addiction. In such cases, my "hobby" may, indeed, have become a "habit".

No comments:

Post a Comment