Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pipe Buffing Machine

What kind of buffing machine to use for working on pipes

When I first began pipe crafting, I did all my work by hand using sandpaper, micro mesh pads, and so on. But after a while, I definitely saw the benefit of a good buffing machine. But wishing to save money, I bought an inexpensive buffing machine from eBay. It was actually a jeweler's polisher made by Rand with a "no load" motor and 4" wheels.


                            Image source: www.rockford-industrial.com

Although the Rand machine was functional, I would say that it was barely adequate for pipes. It worked moderately well for applying carnauba wax, but it was atrociously under-powered for any real polishing. For example, because it is a no-load motor designed for use with delicate jewelry, it could not sustain the necessary pressure to remove oxidation from a stem or to actually polish wood for refinishing, etc. The Rand served my purposes for a short while, but it quickly became apparent that it was not going to do the job long term.

                     Image source: turnerpipes.wordpress.com

Since I recondition estate pipes on a regular basis, I ended up purchasing an industrial strength buffing machine. It's not the top of the line model, but it is a top of the line brand: Baldor. According to my research, Baldor makes some of the best buffing equipment in the world, and the six inch, 1800 RPM model I own is fantastic! Of course, it cost substantially more than the Rand, but it was well worth the money. (The Rand was around $50; the Baldor around $300.)

No comments:

Post a Comment