Friday, October 5, 2012

Smoking Full Bowls or Small Bowls?

When time is limited, should you pack a full bowl and relight it throughout the day or should you pack only small bowls that are smoked entirely?

            Image source: cigarsmokersland.com

My recommendation would depend largely on the type of tobacco being smoked (and, of course, your own personal preferences). Some tobaccos work very well on a relight; the flavor and aroma seem relatively unaffected by sitting in the pipe for a while after being partially smoked. With these tobaccos, packing a full bowl and smoking it in increments throughout the day should work just fine. You'll need to experiment with relighting your favorite blends to see how they taste, but I recommend at least dumping out the ashes between relights.

For tobaccos that do not respond well to relighting, such as those that produce a nasty "ash tray"-like flavor (or worse), I recommend going the small bowl route. That is, just pack enough into the bowl for the time you have and smoke it up. I do this frequently when I have limited time. Even if the tobacco would relight well, I sometimes do not wish to carry around a partially filled pipe.

In either case, I recommend simply doing what works best for you. There's no "right" or "wrong," but only the practical matters of convenience and enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment