Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sanitizing an Estate Pipe Stem

Is there a quick and easy way to sanitize an estate pipe stem?

With this article I want to focus on the cleaning aspect of what I already talked about in my article on pipe stem sanitizing.

           Image source: rebornpipes.wordpress.com

When I refurbish pipes for myself or others, hygiene and safety is of the highest concern. For this reason, I go through several steps to thoroughly sanitize a stem or mouthpiece. But depending on the condition of the stem, there is a simple method, which I will describe here.

You will need some high-quality alcohol. In order to have a sterilizing effect, the alcohol content must be above 50%. I prefer to use Isopropyl Alcohol that is 91% alcohol. This ensures a "medical grade" sanitizing effect and evaporates quickly. It is also much less expensive than grain alcohol. You will also need some pipe cleaners and a small container in which to soak the stem.
  • First, clean the stem by removing any debris and residue (tobacco bits, tar build-up, nicotine residue, etc.).
  • Second, dip a pipe cleaner in the alcohol and run it through the stem. I recommend doing this several times and "scrubbing" as necessary. Bristle pipe cleaners work great for this step.
  • Third, soak the stem in a bowl or container so that the stem is completely covered by the alcohol. I recommend soaking it for about 15 minutes (or longer if necessary to dissolve residue). If the alcohol discolors during the soak, that means tar and other residue were being dissolved by the alcohol. If this occurs, discard the alcohol and scrub the stem with some more pipe cleaners. Then fill the container with fresh alcohol and perform the soak again. This way you are ensured of a truly clean and sanitized stem.
  • Once finished with the soaking. Simply rinse the stem in cold water and dry it off. It should now be completely sanitized!

No comments:

Post a Comment